I was fortunate that I grew up in a time when those coming to Australia looking for a new start were largely welcomed. The notion of a fair go was still commonplace and this idea of a fair go did not have the sharp racial divide that it has now.
In the spirit of this AMES is looking for professionals to assist as mentors to newly arrived professional migrants.
AMES is seeking volunteers to mentor skilled professional migrants
What’s the AMES Mentor Program?
The AMES Mentor Program matches skilled professional migrants with Mentors from the same profession or sector, who support them towards gaining employment.
Despite their qualifications, skills and experience, there are obstacles for these migrants in finding employment.
These can include a lack of knowledge of the Australian job search process, workplace culture and local networks.
With support they can overcome these obstacles and begin their careers and new lives in Australia.
· Meet weekly in the CBD (time/day is flexible)
· Role play job interview questions
· Proofread job applications
· Guide in employment direction
· Support to settle into a new job
· Discuss Australian workplace culture
What do you need to become a Mentor?
· Professional experience (particularly in Accounting, IT or Mechanical or Electronic Engineering)
· Current knowledge of job search strategies
· The ability to commit to one hour per week for 6 months
· At least five years Australian workplace experience in your profession
· Currently working or recently retired
· A desire to foster social inclusion
Mentoring is a rewarding cross-cultural experience!
Call or email now and get involved.
Without these pesky foreigners we would still be eating meat and two veg and believe On the Buses was actually quality entertainment.